Saturday, March 21, 2009

Waste of Time,Waste of Space

I spent most of this afternoon trying out ICQ.

This was part of the chat task in Module 2.I have to say that I am truly underwhelmed by the whole experience.Firstly,as it would not work the way I supposed it should I deleted it and then re-downloaded it but it didn't improve matters.It took so long,I have installed carpet quicker than this!

The logo and color scheme is so cheesey it is sick making.I thought if I visited a chatroom I might get a feel for it,so went into the Aussie chat site.A lot of people calling each other wogs and sluts,and a moderator throwing people out.A bit like going down to the Griffith Hotel on any night of the week,not my idea of fun,I gotta say.

I gave it a go.I checked out who was online.By their photos and mini bios it would seem a lot of weird lonely men looking for the "Girl of their Dreams"This is not the way I want to chat.It would be like telling your friends you will meet them down by the City Dump.

When you uninstall this program it gives you a little questionnaire to fill out.I stated my reason for leaving was because compared to other IM sites,this was crap.Sometimes you gotta just say what you mean.

But this was not the end of it.After deleting the program I find it is now my homepage.I reinstalled Firefox but ICQ is apparently reluctant to leave.I will report more on this later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Luke, I have to say I have same complaints about ICQ and didn't like the fact that it changed my Firefox settings and keeps presenting me with this big screen of other groups to join (like we have time - sorry maybe some do :)

    You can change your homepage back (so long as you know the address) by going to your Tools menu > Options > Main tab and under 'Start Up' change the ICQ search engine to whatever it was before - remebering to add the http:// at the beginning.

    If you already know this please disregard :)

    Bee

    ReplyDelete