Sunday, March 29, 2009

Email...It Pays To know How It Works


The very first thing I did when I first went online was to learn how to send and receive email messages.Easy,set up an account and wait.Partly this was true.You would at least get a confirmation notice from the service that you were using,but not much else happened without a little input on your part.

So,checking out websites for different things I found that you could sign up for any old thing and they would happily add you to their mailing list.Within days I was swamped with offers of holidays,love,software downloads and if I just would enter my credit card number life was gonna be great from then on,and all at no risk to me whatsoever.

I was a newbie but I was not that green,so found that not everything that landed in the Inbox was to be taken at face value.I got a Gmail account for free and found that in the main,the Spam filter caught a lot of this rubbish,but not all of it.So inevitably the system I thought I was on top of wasn't working.I didn't know what was worth keeping and I deleted things I now wish I had kept.

By then I was communicating with friends,and receiving accounts by email and I got onto Yahoo Mail.This has a very easy way of keeping track of things by using folders.Some things I like to keep but maybe I don't want to read it right away.You can just leave it all in the inbox and it all just scrawls away and you can find it again but it takes time.Using folders it is all there in front of you.

To me,this "filing system"was great leap forward and it is something that I would recommend that everyone should try.When you can retrieve your emails easily, then you have control.I often don't know where my keys are but if you are looking for last November's ISP bill,then I'm your man.

No comments:

Post a Comment