Saturday, March 28, 2009

Further Adventures in Chat Land

I wanted to really understand how chat works and so for the past week I have been online at different times of the day,and in different timezones as well.

The most amazing thing that I've found is that I am as shy online as I am in everyday life.Not overly sensitive mind you but I definetly tend to be self conscious.In my former life as a chef I merely assumed the personality of a self confident and assertive pro.I was comfortable with my level of knowledge and skill,and for the most part this worked.I even went to acting workshops and dressed in a different way.So,if you know the part and the lines and have the right props you can pull it off.I dont mean faking the work,you have to be good at what you do,but people treat you differently if they think you are a mouse;so let them think you are RAT,allbiet a nice one.

I chatted 1 on 1 with my friend in USA and was very comfortable with that as the lady knew that it was the virtually the first time I had used Yahoo instant mesagging.The only thing that rattled me was thinking how stilted and slow I was at typing,but after a little while the pace picked up and we tapped away for about an hour and it ended up a real conversation.Even used smileys and I can see the fun of them.This was at about 1am. my time and 9am. over there.The beauty of timezones.

Chatted on Yahoo with one of the other students and she also was generous with her time and patience and I had picked up a little speed and confidence by then.

mIRC is a very different creature to deal with.You are out there in the wilds on your own and if you want to talk to people you have to get smart real quick.I found the NET11 channel but due to the strange times I go on was unable to find anyone at home,but will keep on going there until I do.

I entered the AllNightCafe Channel (after a couple of tutoriols) and typed Hello>
Nothing happened for awhile and then a user called Bloodlust answered me.I said it was my first time and lucky for me he was a nice guy and we got talking.I told him that I was doing this chat as part of a course and he told me heaps about how to work it.As we chatted away other people entered the conversation and Bloodlust" knew" them and I got heaps of encouragement,and before I realized what was happening I was doing the group chat component of the module.

This chat with all these nice folks lasted for over 2 hours and I was reluctant to leave.Some said that they leave mIRC on their computers 24/7 so as to read through what has been said while they were away.Beyond the call of duty.

I asked about the list of Usernames that were all down the right hand margin of the screen.There must have been 12 or 15 but only about 6 of them were active in the conversation,what was the go?

"Most of them are wankers" was the reply from my new best mate Bloodlust.They just lurk over there listening in,not contributing in any way.Why would they do that? I had to ask".How the bloody hell would I know?" said Mr Blood?Why dont you ask them yourself.So I did.

Some of them were not present.These were names of people who left their PCs on at the cafe all day and caught up later.Others were indeed loitering in the shadows,waiting for the right time to throw in a smartass comment before bolting to the safety of another room.One of the wallflowers said they were waiting for something intelligent to be said before getting involved.Touche.

So it is like real life.Be nice and you'll be helped,if not Bloodlust may overcome you.

No comments:

Post a Comment